Creative Writing MFA (low-residency)
Naropa's Master of Fine Arts degree in Creative Writing is a hybrid online/distance mentorship program that offers students rigorous instruction in innovative prose, poetry, and cross-genre forms, as well as professional development. To usher students into contemporary arts and letters movements, the program draws on the juxtaposition of Eastern wisdom and Western scholarship, with a focus on contemplative writing practices.
Since 2003, we have served students who desire to study writing in the communities where they currently live, enjoying what Boulder has to offer during fifteen annual days of residency (fall, spring, and summer). Participation in Naropa's renowned Summer Writing Program serves as the summer residency. Our students live full lives, with demanding professions and families, and still wish to broaden their literary networks through correspondence and face-to-face interactions with some of today’s most provocative writers.
Highlights of the curriculum include:
- Two-year MFA degree with fifteen annual days of residency in Boulder, CO
- Open-genre curriculum
- One-on-one mentorship with accomplished faculty
- Emphasis on contemplative writing practices
- Participation in the Summer Writing Program
- Guidance in preparing the creative thesis for publication
- Cohort model developing a strong sense of community among MFA students
Toll Free: 800-772-6951
2130 Arapahoe Avenue
Boulder, CO 80302