Naropa does not believe that grades are the single most important measure of education; therefore, the university does not determine or publish a dean’s list, nor does it confer degrees cum laude. However, grades remain an important indicator of a student’s academic performance, as well as a useful tool for communicating educational accomplishments to others through transcripts. The student’s instructor is required to clearly state the criteria for grading in the course syllabus at the beginning of the course, and it is the student’s responsibility to understand the syllabus.

Course instructors are responsible for assessing the quality of student accomplishment, according to criteria and procedures stated in the course syllabus.

Undergraduate Grading Scale

A = Excellent
B = Good
C = Acceptable
D = Poor
F = Failure

For undergraduate students, a minimum grade of “C” is required to satisfy major and minor requirements. A grade of “D-” is minimally adequate for all other courses. An undergraduate student does not receive credit for a course in which they receive the grade of “F.”

For calculating a grade point average, the numerical equivalents of each grade are:

A = 4.0
A- = 3.7
B+ = 3.3
B = 3.0
B- = 2.7
C+ = 2.3
C = 2.0
C- = 1.7
D+ = 1.3
D = 1.0
D- = 0.7
F = 0.0

Graduate Grading Scale

A = Excellent
B = Good
B- = Acceptable
C+ (or lower) = Failure

For graduate students, a grade of “B-” is minimally adequate. A graduate student does not receive credit for a course in which they receive the grade of “C+” or lower. A grade of “C+” and below is entered as “F.”


Naropa allows a grade of Incomplete/Failure (I/F), which is granted to students who have fallen behind in their work due to exceptional, unforeseen circumstances. I/F grades are appropriate when (1) there are extenuating, exceptional circumstances; and (2) only a small portion of the course requirements remain to be completed. I/F grades are assigned by the instructor at their discretion. If the instructor agrees to grant an I/F grade, an Incomplete Agreement form must be completed, signed by the student and the instructor, and submitted to Student Administrative Services before a grade can be entered as Incomplete/Failure. 

I/F grades allow students up to one additional semester to complete the work. Unless noted otherwise by the faculty, course work for Incomplete grades given in the spring or summer semester is due by the end of the following fall semester. Course work for Incomplete grades given in the fall semester is due by the end of the following spring semester. The instructor may set an earlier deadline for submission of course work at their discretion. It is the student’s responsibility to finish the work in time for it to be evaluated and graded, and for the grade to be submitted to the registrar by the respective semester's grading deadline. Failure to complete the work by the deadline will result in a final grade of “F” for the course. Further extensions to an incomplete agreement are considered only for fully documented medical or family emergencies or other extenuating circumstances.


All required courses in the student’s degree plan (e.g. major, minor, and core curriculum) must be taken for a letter grade, except for courses such as group process, where letter grades are inappropriate, and for courses the program has designated as pass/fail. Elective courses may be taken on a pass/fail basis, with the student’s academic advisor’s approval. For undergraduate pass/fail courses, all grades of “C” and above convert to a final reported grade of “P.” For graduate pass/fail courses, grades of “B-” and above convert to “P.” A grade of “P” does not affect the student’s grade point average. A grade of “F” lowers the student’s grade point average. The pass/fail option must be selected during the registration and add/drop periods. A student who wishes to change a course to pass/fail must complete a form and submit it to Student Administrative Services.

Please note: A student receiving Veterans Educational Benefits must receive letter grades for all courses that are part of the student’s degree program. If a course is only offered as pass/fail, it is the student’s responsibility to make arrangements with the instructor at the beginning of the semester to receive a letter grade. The student must also see Student Administrative Services to have the grade status changed to “letter grade” in pass/fail courses.

Other Grades

On occasion, a student will receive a grade report or transcript with grades other than those listed above, as follows:

AU = Audit
IP = In Progress
NR = Not Reported
NC = Noncredit
SP = Satisfactory Progress (used only in master’s work and extension courses)

Unreported Grades

If a grade remains unreported by an instructor for one complete semester despite notification to the instructor and student, that grade shall be entered as a grade of “F.”

Grade Disputes

If a student believes a grade has been assigned incorrectly or unfairly, the student should consult with the instructor to determine the basis for assigning the grade. The instructor may request a grade change by using the Grade Change form available from Student Administrative Services. The grade change form may not be used to change a grade on the basis of work submitted following the end of the semester.

If the student and instructor are unable to resolve the issue, the student may submit an appeal to the department chair/school dean of the department that offers the course. The appeal should include copies of all correspondence with the instructor of the course. Following appeal review, the department chair or school dean may change the grade or reject the appeal.

In the event a student is unable to resolve the issue to their satisfaction with the department chair/school dean, the student may submit an appeal to the provost, including a record of all correspondence with both the instructor and the department chair/school dean. The provost will either resolve the matter directly or by appointing a faculty review committee. The ultimate ruling from the provost on grade disputes is final.

The deadline for submitting grade changes resulting from a grade dispute is the end of the semester following the semester in which the grade was assigned (e.g., for fall semester grades, the end of the following spring semester).